Thank you for presenting at the 2018 International Conference on Family Planning that will be held at the state-of-the-art Kigali Convention Centre, from November 12-15, 2018! Presenters will share their experiences, knowledge and expertise through more than 1500 presentations in 154 oral presentation and 7 poster presentation sessions.
There are three types of oral presentation sessions: preformed panel, standard, and flash. The guidelines below apply to standard sessions. Please note that session specific information regarding the session chair(s), time, and location will be sent via email in early October.
All sessions are 80-minute long. Each session has a chair and typically four presenters. Each presenter will have maximum 15 minutes to speak. The chair of your session will confirm the exact time allocated to your presentation, depending on the number of presentations in the session. In order to allow a discussion after all individual presentations, the session chair will keep time and ensure all presenters respect speaking time limits strictly.
All presenters and the session chair are requested to connect as a group via email, before the conference. Session chairs will receive presenters’ email and initiate the communication. As a presenter, you should:
Before the Conference
- Share your abstract and, if available, a paper with the chair and other presenters in the session by October 22nd – three weeks before the conference.
- Share your presentation slides with the chair and other presenters by November 2nd – 10 days before the conference. Prepare your slides in advance to ensure that the content of your presentation is delivered accurately and concisely. Please refer to tips for making slides that are legible, clear, and engaging
- Resource 1: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~library/biomed/guides/powerpoint.html
- Resource 2: https://www.forbes.com/sites/allbusiness/2013/11/25/7-principles-for-making-powerpoint-slides-with-impact/#f91334b4d038
NOTE: Only PDFs or MS PowerPoint (*.ppt or *.pptx) presentations will be accepted. The ICFP 2018 computers will run MS PowerPoint 2013 and above. Use the pre-installed standard font types available in MS Office 2013 or above.
- Upload the slides (power point or PDF) by November 2nd by logging into the abstract submission system and following the instructions below.
- Log into the abstract submission system (click here).
- Click the “Abstract Management” button on the left of the screen.
- Click the “Upload Presentation” button below the abstract for which you wish to upload a presentation.
- Click the red “Click Here to Upload Media” button to upload the file.
You may upload revised versions of a presentation at any time until November 2nd. After November 2, please bring your revised presentation in a flash drive to the speaker’s room at the conference center – no later than 6PM of the day before your presentation.
- Practice for an interactive and engaging presentation – within your time limit. Your quality presentation will contribute to a success ICFP 2018! There are many sessions and presentation, and please do your best to make lasting impact on your audience. Please refer to resources below for some ideas on how to make your presentation more engaging.
- Resource 1: https://24slides.com/presentbetter/12-ideas-interactive-presentation/
- Resource 2: https://www.mentimeter.com/blog/awesome-presentations/how-to-make-your-powerpoint-presentation-interactive
At the conference
- Confirm the location and arrive early, at least 10 minutes before the start of your session. Meet the chair and confirm the session line-up.
- Information regarding the availability of tools to facilitate interactive presentations (e.g Poll everywhere), translation and closed captioning for the hearing impaired (e.g Microsoft Translate) will be sent out with session instructions to follow.
- Give your presentation, engage the audience, enjoy and benefit from the discussion! Please respect the time limit otherwise the session chair will have to interrupt and ask you to end your presentation.