HIGH-LEVEL SPEAKERS AND PROGRAM DETAILS CONFIRMED FOR THE 2018 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON FAMILY PLANNING
The Fifth International Conference on Family Planning (ICFP) is pleased to announce a number of high-level speakers as well key program details for the upcoming conference. In addition to on-site activities in Kigali, Rwanda on November 12-15, a robust virtual program and livestream will be available at ICFPhub.org.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Her Royal Highness Sarah Zeid, Princess of Jordan
- Her Excellency Martine Moïse, First Lady of Haiti
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization
- The Honorable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development, Canada
- Natalia Kanem, Executive Director, United Nations Population Fund
- Chris Elias, President of Global Development, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Her Excellency Toyin Ojora-Saraki, Founder of the Wellbeing Foundation Africa
New data will be released at the conference. Reports are expected to include the FP2020 report, featuring the latest data on contraceptive use and access in the countries where family planning progress is most needed, as well as new youth-focused data from the Guttmacher Institute on the costs and benefits of meeting adolescents’ contraceptive needs in developing regions.
- Three Plenaries
- The Return on Investment (November 13): Family planning yields wide-ranging dividends both locally and globally. This plenary will feature expert roundtable discussions on the demographic dividend and health, financial, environmental and security benefits.
- Youth & Diversity in Family Planning (November 14): Young people face unique challenges in family planning. Through monologues and artistic storytelling, this youth-led plenary will showcase experiences of youth from all over the world as well as family planning programs that ensure the inclusion of diverse voices.
- FP2020 Progress (November 15): The FP2020 partnership is driving momentum towards family planning commitments and country-specific FP2020 goals. This plenary will spotlight successful national rights-based family planning programs, demonstrating the personal impact on women and girls.
- Events & Awards
- “Women of Impact: Global Leaders Creating Positive Change” Panel Discussion will feature women from around the world who are changing their communities and countries. High-profile female leaders from the economic, political and social spheres will discuss how to create a culture that empowers women to become positive disruptors.
- Red Carpet Evening Among the Stars Reception, co-sponsored by Population Services International (PSI), will celebrate international family planning advocates, leaders and celebrity supporters. The inaugural Lifetime Achievement Awards will recognize several individuals who have made a deep and enduring impact on the family planning and reproductive health field. PSI will also acknowledge a young philanthropist who has worked to revolutionize access to reproductive healthcare.
- 2018 ICFP FPitchfest will bring together 10 CEOs in family planning and reproductive health to pitch ideas they believe will be transformative for the community. A second contest will feature the top two AmplifyChange@ICFP youth grantees, who will compete for additional grant funding for their projects.
- Packard Quality Innovation Challenge and the Excellence in Leadership for Family Planning (EXCELL) Award winners will be announced during the ICFP closing ceremony.
Journalists who wish to attend the conference are invited to apply for media accreditation as soon as possible here: fpconference.org/2018/media/journalist-accreditation. Conference registration fees will be waived for accredited journalists attending in person.
There will also be numerous opportunities to cover the conference and related events virtually, including livestreams, daily updates and local reporting opportunities. Journalists who wish to virtually follow the 2018 ICFP, please fill out the form here: fpconference.org/2018/virtual-participation-interest-form.
Journalists attending the conference are invited to take part in site visits around Kigali showcasing successful family planning programs in action on November 10, 11 or 12. If you are a member of the media attending the conference and wish to participate in a local site visit, please view the the site visit options and indicate your interest in attending here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeq8pgT2dt6pFL0HApZRD559JRYvPq5ZDNAjzFddi1JRsDaXg/viewform. Note: Due to space constraints, each reporter will be permitted to attend only one site visit.
ABOUT THE 2018 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON FAMILY PLANNING:
The International Conference on Family Planning will convene thousands of global policymakers and researchers, young people, faith leaders and family planning advocates from around the world in Kigali, Rwanda on 12-15 November 2018. Organized around the theme “Investing for a Lifetime of Returns,” the 2018 ICFP will highlight the extensive and far-reaching social and economic benefits of family planning investments — for individuals, families and countries. The 2018 ICFP will be co-hosted by the Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Rwanda.
Follow the conversation on social media:
- Twitter: @ICFP2018
- Facebook: InternationalConferenceonFamilyPlanning
- Instagram: ICFP2018
- Hashtags: #ICFP2018 and #ICFPYouth
To learn more about the ICFP, please visit fpconference.org/2018.
Email email@example.com with questions about journalist registration and attendance.